Thursday 16 May 2013

KARI MILBURN AUTHOR INTERVIEW - Questions asked by EARL CHESSHER


You're a writer. Why?
My father asked me when I was nine what I wanted to do when I grew up. I told him, “Tell stories!” He said, “Then you’ll be a writer.” I have always had a weird imagination, and writing is a way to express that and hopefully make someone smile, cry or frown – any reaction at all is a welcome one.

What three writers have most influenced you as a writer?
Stephen King, Jeffery Archer and Dean Koontz. These three men are amazing story tellers, and there is no agenda other than to share a moment of time inside their heads.

What is your preferred genre? Is that your ONLY genre?
I love to read crime, thrillers, fantasy and horror. I love to write anything that is slightly weird! It is easier for me to say what I don’t write, which is romance. And the only reason for this is that my characters tend to take on a life of their own which usually involves more action than foreplay!

WHO, in your personal life, has most influenced you to write, or made you WANT to write? Why?
My father. He used to love to read my stories, and try to put his own stamp on them! He was a Captain in the merchant navy, and the stories of his life inspired me to write my first novel, Millennium. It never got published and would need a serious re-write now due to it being 2013!! But writing it with his knowledge to aid my research was an inspiration and I miss him dearly now.

Commercial success: Do you care? Why?
Of course I would love commercial success! If I made a decent penny out of this, I could do it full time and can’t imagine a happier place for me to be. In the meantime, however, feedback and reviews are what motivate me.

Literary success: Same questions.
I write ‘quick reads’, and doubt that the literary success will come with the commercial success! Do I want The Times to review it and give it 5 stars? Hell yes! If it comes, I’ll lap it up!

You hate the _________ genre because ...
Least liked is Romance, but that’s probably because I love it and can’t write it!!


What is wrong with today's writing/publishing world?
Publishers can now judge the popularity of a writer though social media and reviews prior to even reading their book. That can be hard when an editor hasn’t cast their beady eye over the manuscript to help us polish and hone it. It can also mean that amazing writers can slip under the radar if they struggle to find the time to market the book as much as we all currently need to.

Will flash fiction, Twitter-like pieces, text-style short cuts to writing prevail?
I was very interested to hear that Tim Waterstone, of Waterstones fame, is starting a Spotify type app which will feature short stories and serialised novels. This takes us back to the age when serialised works such as Sherlock Holmes sold thousands and thousands of newspapers, and I think it will work very well in today’s time-challenged world. I was disappointed to hear his terminology around Indie Authors who will not be able to publish on the app, though. Indie Authors need to unite and create an alternative app just for us!

What are you currently working on?
I have a few things on the go actually. One is another crime novel featuring William Hunter (who I introduced in Where To Draw The Line) and the other is Being Pure – Book 2 of the Beings Trilogy.
I’m also picking up on an idea I had 12 years ago about a collection of children’s books. Stay tuned for more on that…

What if anything, have you published? Where?
Where to Draw the Line is a crime novel that asks the question, would you break the law to uphold the law? William Hunter is a cab driver who learns the identity of a serial killer, and becomes obsessed with proving the man’s guilt. It’s a roller coaster ride and William finds himself in some impossible situations!
I co-authored a YA book called Being Grey with my sister, Gina Keliher. Writing with her was an absolute pleasure, and seeing that we planned a trilogy, book two is in the making! It’s a tale about the darkness in all of us, and the challenges that face the few who can really see our souls. Some are Pure, some are Damned, most of us are in the middle…
Stirring Up Magic was a story for my nephew about two young brothers who find themselves in a fantasy world, and their coming brings back magic and the evils with it. It is very Narnia based, with references to technology and history. It was fun to write and my Nephew loved it!
I’m also blessed to be part of the Writers Anarchy, a collection of short stories by some amazingly talented people!
I’ve also written a lot of short stories that I blog here. These tales are inspired by my readers photographs – so anything goes!

Is there a philosophical point you'd like to make about writing, in general? Specifically?
Not specifically. Life is a crazy jumble of things that we either control, or don’t. What we do in those circumstances is what shapes us. I put my characters in those situations which are not self-inflicted, to see what they would do. They really do have a life of their own!

BAKER'S DOZEN BONUS QUESTION: If you were told you could write/express anything you wanted in a fiction or non-fiction novel, book, piece, and that you'd be guaranteed more than two million readers/buyers/downloaders. What would you write? Why?
Surely it wouldn’t matter?!
Seriously, I would write an exciting page-turning yarn with twists and turns, but has morals and a positive ending. If that many people will read it, then passing on something that might inspire them in their lives will be a good deed done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts!

Legal stuff...

Please note, I own the copyright to all work on this Blog. Please ask permission if you intend to quote me. Photo's published by permission of the owners. By posting comments and content to this blog, you agree to transfer copyright to Kari Milburn.